Saturday, March 1, 2014

Taking you way back into time……

Remember the days when mobile phones were none existent, and the kiosk owner used to be like you telephone operator so you tell your pals
Nipigie saa kumi kwa hiyo kiosk ya Mama Njoro
Translation, Call me at 4 o’clock at Njoro’s mum’s kiosk lol Because that was the only way you could be reached those days, by scheduling phone calls.
Remember how almost every landline was locked till you had to master where all the buttons of the phone were so that you put like a long stick through the phone cage and try dialing numbers without seeing the buttons. Or you dial using the button for kataing calls so if you are dialing 227122 you press the button twice for two, seven times for seven etc.
I remember how the TV wall units back in the day all had doors which could be locked with a padlock thus restricting your TV time :) I wonder why those units are not sold anymore and the way this younger generation are just a bunch of psychos. I Kid.


Drinking chocolate
This drinking chocolate tins made the best sufurias when playing chamama, you never used to burn much while cooking bourganvillia stew over the candle stove lol. But thank God for Drinking chocolate because Cocoa was just too bitter albeit it made the best mixture if you were in a government boarding school, you MUST know what mixture is.

Roiko
Yeah back in the day it was Roiko Mchuzi Mix. You will never know the value of this spice till your forced to cook a meal without it. Kenyans in the diaspora suffer the most because food is just not the same without it.
Who remembers Roiko tomato sauce?? Aki for real it used to be there and it was delicious. I was heartbroken when they stopped making it, heinz, zesta all those had nothing on it!

Vaseline Hair Tonic
Ha ha ha whose dad never used to use this mafuta for real?? I think even women used to use it. I still remember how it smells.
Who remembers Vaseline Mosquitoline? It was mosquito repellent but it used to smell so awful, being bitten by mosquitoes seemed like the better choice.

EAI products
Tree top was the nyummiest juice ever! Till today I do not understand why they stopped making it. Okay word has it that just like quencher, pregnant women could induce abortions by taking it conc concentrated without diluting but why not just keep an eye out and make sure any women who are preggers did not drink it??
And why was everything in a can back in the day? Plastic had not yet been discovered?? But thats a lie because there was plastic cutlery, buckets, etc.
My dad used to work for this company so we used to get these products in plenty. I think my dad was the most loyal employee ever!
Toothpaste had to be Close up, cooking oil was either Kimbo or Cowboy, bread spread was Blueband, petroleum jelly was Vaseline, soap was either Lux or Geisha, juice was Tree top, Spices Roiko of course, lotion was either Vaseline Intensive Care or Lady Gay. Yuck I hated Lady Gay slimmiest lotion ever bleh
Cowboy Spesheli, who remembers that advertisement where they show some nyummy mandazis, then some delicious looking chapatis which were so soft they could be raruliwad with ease mmmmhhhh
The Hairglo wave, you've got to feel it!
First up why couldn’t they just take a picture of their products rather than draw them?? The film could only fit the one picture of the couple??
I am one of those rare children who can say that I did not taste hairglo, apparently it was really sweet. I know someone who tastes gels and shower gels ever since she tried hairglo in the hope that they might taste just as good hi hi.
Hey men! what gives your hair that cool shine??
PREEESSSSOOOOLLLLL
ha ha who remembers that advertisement?? I remember my P.E teacher from primary school was in that advertisement:)

Ni wakati wa tusker
Hebu jitokeze! Jionyeshi! Simama mbele ya watu!
Whoever was responsible for ads in KBL EABL needs to be brought back!! They were so cool and catchy. Remember the one for kazi! kazi! and Celebrate good times come on! Then compare them with the current ad, with funny people who don’t look East African dancing dancing, it is very lame.
I do not drink beer, it tastes like shit but beer drinkers make it look so nyum nkt!
I dunno why but for some reason ding’oing’o's always remind me of Tusker.
Remember Fanta apple, Fanta strawberry, Fanta cream soda yuck, Fanta passion, Fanta spurberry. I miss the variety. Was there Fanta pineapple?
Finally what I really miss from the good old days is goody goody, that delicious caramel chewy goodness. What I wouldn’t do to get my hands on that. Cadbury’s can you hear me??!! we need goody goody!!
check out more throwback pics from here

No comments:

Post a Comment